Tuesday, May 19, 2009

When Celebrities Give Credit to God

I remember sitting around the TV for several nights with my new friends in Atlanta, as we bonded around the stunning comeback of the Boston Red Sox over the New York Yankees in the ALCS, and then marveled as the most storied "cursed" team in the Red Sox prevailed in the World Series, their first since 1908.

The curse was broken, it was amazing! And even more amazing was the list of "reasons" why the curse was lifted, and why the Red Sox were able to win the game. Personally, I think having a 100 million + payroll helps, as well as a short fence in right and a short distance to left field for their big hitters...and the best pitching money can buy...I think these all help.

But another reason came right after the last game of the World Series, in the infamous "bloody sock game". In this game Curt Schilling had stitches come undone from an ankle surgery, but still managed to pitch up to his high level, it was a heroic performance. Of course, he was the interview target after the game and my seminary friends and I were left a little more stunned at Mr. Schilling's response to a question about how the Red Sox won.

"I want to give thanks to God for this victory, because God really favored us today and gave me the strength to go out and pitch this team to victory."

It wasn't that exact quote, I can't find the exact quote, but this is similar to just about every other athlete, actor or musician giving thanks to God for the victory. "God gave me the strength, God helped our team to victory."

Really? Don't get me wrong, I am happy that God is getting recognized nationally and that these celebrities have a relationship with God, but I'm not sure I'm happy with God choosing sides in a sporting event or an oscar ceremony. Do I think God cares about these things? Absolutely. God cares about all things, God is everywhere and ought to be recognized in everything.

But does God change the wind so a kicker can kick a field goal just a little further? Does God cause other batters to miss the ball on purpose so one team can win? Does God influence the voting on American Idol?

I hate to say it, but I don't think so. I don't think God influences the events in our lives in a definite sense. I don't think that God causes one team to win, one singer to win or one actor to win because God favors that person more than the others, or wants to smite the other people for something they did. I don't think God works like that.

Instead, I definitely think that God blessed the musician with the talent, dexterity and creativity it takes to be appreciated by the Grammy's. I definitely think that God calls people to powerful roles in films that speak to people (not many Oscar's go to "Dude, Where's my Car?"), and I think that God blesses some with athletic ability...although possibly not for sports...those are our creation, as is acting.

God allows us to get in line with God's plan, God doesn't force it upon anyone. Yes, sometimes think work out when they shouldn't, and sometimes things just flow together so perfectly that I think God was very convincing in those moments...but in the course of our lives, God is not forcing us to win or lose. God is not forcing us to spend beyond our means or divorce our spouses. God is not forcing us to love people or give to charity. God gives us the opportunity to live up to the greatest ideals possible for a person with our gifts and talents, and it is up to us to respond. It is when we respond that we are choosing to love God fully, and God will fully sanctify us in our response.

There was a celebrity recently that I really appreciated. I was watching the Today Show with my wife and Jennifer Hudson was singing. I love her voice and style, although I'm not what you would call a massive fan, but the question came..."how can you get up here and sing like this after what you suffered with your family situation?" (Her family had been killed recently)

Her answer was one of the best I'd ever heard on national television.

She unasbashedly answered, "It's all about forgiveness, I had to let myself forgive and realize that situation is in God's hands, and those people are in God's hands...but me, I just have to focus on forgivness."

God didn't kill her family, but God will ultimately be with her family and the killers. God didn't give her a super-power of courage to get up on stage again. Instead, God gave her a peace of forgiveness and humility...and through that she found joy again in singing.

That is how God enters the world. Through Jesus Christ and the way that we react to the love and grace that is offered to us through Jesus Christ. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment