Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The three letter, four letter Word...Sex

So here's the big week....

We've got the Bible study printed, we're working on the stage set-up, and the sermon outline is done.

You'd think after Easter week we'd take it easy on ourselves, but The Bridge crew is putting ourselves on a limb by talking about one of the most controversial topics there is, "sex."

It's been interesting to see all of the reactions in the church, and I've loved the people who are uncomfortable with me doing this because they have really opened my eyes to an attitude that I need to consider and take seriously. I, too, will have a daughter soon...what would I want her to hear?

But I'd like to think that I wouldn't be afraid of sex like our culture has become. For such an openly sexual and sexually exploitative culture that we are, it's awful to talk about it as something serious, or something...holy? But it is created by God, for pro-creation, but also for spiritual and emotional and physical bonding between two people. So, in a culture in which we bond spiritually, emotionally and physically with anyone at any time...why are we afraid to say that it's designed to bond with one person for life?

I'm thinking this will be a pretty popular stance with all sides, but in the words of one of my colleagues..."who cares what people think, this is what God thinks."

Amen.

I hope you tune in to the Sexual Revolution series and create anew your own view on sex, or reaffirm how important it actually is in your life. We are going to try and stream the sermons online after the fact for those that miss it.

1 comment:

  1. I too have been surprised by how people have reacted to this subject. As a parent of a tween and a teen boy, I welcome any opportunity given to me by my church to open the lines of communication about sex. We plan to follow up worship with a family meal where we discuss what we hear from you openly and thoroughly.
    As it was pointed out to me recently, "It isn't a question of 'whether' your kids hear about sex it is a question of 'who' they get their information from!"

    ReplyDelete