Tuesday, April 28, 2009

What churches can learn from Barack Obama

I'm not much of a coffee drinker...but I do love good conversation over a nice greasy hamburger or juicy steak.

As it happened, I was enjoying both during this weekend at Fuddruckers with three of my great friends from seminary. I know with these guys that the conversation is always going to be thought-provoking, and it's especially interesting because while we're all fairly open minded, two of us tend to be a little more conservative and two of us tend to be a little on the left...at least politically.

The issue of the economy came up, and that unleashed a whole discussion on Barack Obama and the job that our President is doing.

But after all the policy issues, after all the debates about taxes and after all was said and done regarding his foreign policy, came one of the more profound statements about the effect of Barack Obama on the American people.

My friend astutely pointed out, "What I love about Obama is that he makes it cool to be smart and educated. He doesn't try and dumb himself down, he gives you something to hope for and aspire to."

A lot of people reading this might think this is the sign of a pretentious person, or even that it's unChristian of us to think ourselves better suited to life than another...but I'd like to disagree and postulate that this image would be good for the church itself.

I have visited churches in many places and am an amateur academic studying church image and function, and have noticed by and large that successful churches typically have a senior pastor or lead pastor that either presents themselves or actually is extremely educated. It doesn't even matter what style of worship it is. Church of the Resurrection is vastly different from Solomon's Porch, but Adam Hamilton and Doug Padgitt both come off as very knowledgeable and educated people, they make you want to soak up their knowledge. The other thing I notice about the churches...not everyone in the congregation is ivy league, well educated or suburban.

Working with youth and children in various capacities, I'm well aware that I'm in the minority when I think that school and learning is extremely entertaining and find it rewarding right away. But I think we're doing our youth and children...not to mention ourselves...a disservice when we only aspire towards mediocrity.

Do you have to know the whole Torah by heart to follow Christ? No.

Do you have to know the Gospel word for word or be able to tell the historical signficance of the field called Armageddon that Jesus grew up by? No.

But we are going beyond this. We are printing out scripture verses on paper to make it easier, instead of youth having to learn where the scriptures are in The Bible. We are giving in to the CNN 2 minute story version of learning and forgetting the important details that stimulate faith. We are joking with kids about how awesome it is to go to school, in hopes of finding a way to relate to them.

I may be alone, but I love learning the meaning of Hebrew words and seeing how they influence the meaning of the story. I love following cross references and seeing how the Bible relates to itself, because it was written by and for people around the same geographical region. I love learning how things work, and the history of skateboarding, and on and on. I've found this has not only helped me understand scripture and grow in faith, but from learning as much as I've been able to soak up (which is way under others) it has helped me to have relationships with people who are nothing like me. And that sounds like the Gospel to me.

So I want to propose that instead of trying to offer "faith-lite" or "Diet Bible" to make it easier, that we instead push people harder towards education so that simple is not enough. So that our congregations emerse themselves in faith because they are so intrigued by what they might learn. And when someone challenges us about our faith...we can answer them.

I know Jesus picked the B team for his followers, but I'd like to think even the B team is capable of greatness.

7 comments:

  1. I think there has to be a balance. Some people get intimidated by the scholarly theologian. At the same time, we need to encourage both youths and adults to take advantage of learning opportunities like the Disciple program. If you want to learn everything about the Bible and Jewish history, try Disciple I. It's heavy, but really rewarding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you completely. Sadly, this is not something that happens just in church. Many in our generation have been raised thinking that we deserve to have everything handed to us, when we are actually being robbed of the opportunity to learn ourselves and grow our character. Putting in the effort yourself is the only way to truly gain the Truth for which the heart longs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "You are free to eat from any of the trees of the garden except the tree of knowledge of good and bad." Genesis 2:17

    Biblically illiterate Christians are not those who read the word. But those who read the word and take no action in their life. There is a fine balance from scripture and faith in action. In my opinion we have too many people who can read scripture and still question how to live their life, as if being a servant is an option?

    There is a balance between scripture and action but original sin was persuing knowledge versus persuing God.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good points. I think Ed summed up the balance piece and I suppose in my mind that the more we know God, the more we realize scripture's intent, the more impossible it is to deny your life is about servanthood. I still feel though that be devaluing the learning process we are devaluing Christian stewardship as a whole.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with your points wholeheatedly, but just wish you had picked a better example of someone who exudes intelligence and confidence. I'm afraid it was difficult for me to focus on your message, when you started off using someone so controversial as your standard-bearer. Beware of false prophets, folks; not only do I beleive Obama is a false Christian, in spite of his apparent intelligence, I beleive him to be dangerously naive and lacking in common-sense that comes from substantive life and work experience. To paraphrase, what does it profit a man to be cool, and smart, and educated, if the whole world is lost to his naivete; or worse. I hope its just naivete, and that more wise and experienced people will be able to get Obama to listen to reason. But, more to my point (and the point of this blog -- sorry), I personally have an inherent distrust of anyone who thinks he's the smartest person in the room; intelligence is nothing without common-sense and wisdom (and, frankly, a little humility); and those who lead the church (and this country) must be imbued with both to be successful...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the comment, I'll acknowledge I don't buy into a lot of Obama's work so far, although some of it has been good, but I do love your last comments. I heard Andy Stanley speak one time and say "when you find yourself with the most power in the room, the best thing to do for the church is give it away as fast as you can." I think that holds true with the concepts of humility and community that Jesus is all about. Although I think it takes an extremely bright person to realize this about themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tend to lean a little "left" (I'll acknowledge that upfront), so in our conservative state, I was uplifted to see a positive quote about Obama in a church blog. Even better, it didn't require someone to take a position on his policies or even his religious beliefs. Kudos to you for doing that, especially if you don't agree with some of his work.

    Regarding the comment itself, I'd agree. It's refreshing to find a man who is smart and actually believes that America has a chance to outlast its challenges and rise to greatness. I think rather than feel superior to others, Obama attempts to challenge us to be better, including himself.

    I would wish an "attempt to reach greatness" for the church itself, and not just regarding Biblical learning. I would wish that for mission work, helping others and actually attending services. I have plenty of work to do on those fronts myself, and I appreciate the written reminder that "diet" and "light" shouldn't be used in regard to our church life.

    ReplyDelete